Application to present at the Academic Meeting, Spring 2018
The Academic Meeting of the Association of Japanese Geographers, Spring 2018, will be held at Tokyo Gakugei University. Members who wish to present their papers at the Meeting should apply by noon on Tuesday, January 16th, 2018 after consulting the details below.
Venue：Tokyo Gakugei University
Dates: From Thursday, March 22th to Saturday, March 24th, 2018
(The council is scheduled to meet on Wednesday, March 21st)
Types of presentation
- There are two types of presentation: “General Presentation” and “Symposium Presentation.” Only members of the Association of Japanese Geographers can present their papers in the “General Presentation” session (in the case of multiple presenters, the lead presenters as well as the presenters must be members of the AJG). For “Symposium Presentation,” if the symposium organizer agrees, non-members can present.
- There are two types of presentations in the “General Presentation”: a. oral presentation and b. poster presentation. Both are of the same status as a presentation. In the “General Presentation” session, up to one paper per lead presenter or presenter can be presented either as an oral presentation or a poster presentation. Additionally, the presenter in the “General Presentation” session can also present in the “Symposium Presentation” session.
- All those wishing to present are required to apply to conduct a presentation. If the application is not completed by the deadline, it will not be accepted.
Details of presentation
- An “oral presentation” consists of 15 minutes of presentation and 4 minutes of question-and-answer. The slots for presentations will be allocated; in order to find out when you are to present, please consult with the program that will be finalized in due course. You can use the projector, but not the overhead projector at the presentation. You are not permitted to circulate material at the presentation.
- As for the “poster presentation,” places for mounting posters will be designated. Please check at the venue. Only one poster per presenter is allowed. The standard size of the poster is 90 cm (width) x 180 cm (height). You are permitted to circulate material at the venue. For the poster presentation, please provide a 20-minute explanation in front of your poster at least once during the Academic Meeting. The time at which you will provide your explanation is up to you (though not during the lunch hour); please indicate when the explanation will be given on the poster (how to indicate the timing(s) of the explanation is left to your discretion).
- In the “General Presentation” session, related presentations can be grouped together in the same time slot (in the case of oral presentations) or in the same place (in the case of poster presentations) (“Group Presentation”). The coordinator of a group presentation should apply by the deadline specified below.
- In the “Symposium Presentation” session, before you apply, please ensure you have agreed on the symposium organizer. The length and format of the symposium is left to the discretion of the symposium organizer. The symposium organizer is asked to submit the symposium program by the deadline specified below.
- If an abstract in PDF format does not arrive by the application deadline, the application will not be accepted.
- No change to the presentation title or the abstract is permitted after the application deadline.
- The applicant cannot specify the date and time of presentation.
Please note that the following changes apply from the Academic Meeting, Spring 2018:
- In the “General Presentation” session, up to one paper per lead presenter or presenter can be presented either as an oral presentation or poster presentation. However, the presenter in the “General Presentation” session can also present in the “Symposium Presentation” session.
- For the poster presentation, please provide a 20-minute explanation in front of your poster at least once during the Academic Meeting. The time at which you will provide your explanation is up to you (though not during the lunch hour); please indicate when the explanation will be given on the poster (how to indicate the timing(s) of the explanation is left to your discretion).
- A new presentation registration system, Confit, will be introduced from the Academic Meeting Spring 2018. With the introduction of Confit, postal delivery of abstracts will be abolished, and all abstracts are to be submitted as PDF files.
- The ID (account) acquired when registering with Confit is valid for this meeting only.
- The following changes have been made to presentation topics:
- “General Geography,” “Land use/landscape,” “Environmental system/regional environment,” “Area study/regional geography (domestic)” and “Other” have been removed.
- “The Great East Japan Earthquake” and “Kumamoto Earthquake” have been merged into “Disasters.”
- “Area Study/topography (overseas)” has been renamed “Area study overseas/regional geography.”
How to apply to present
- All those who wish to present must apply through the conference registration system, Confit. The application opens at noon on January 4th and closes at noon, January 16th, 2018.
- When applying, you must register for an account as well as submit the abstract on Confit.
- If you have questions about registration, please send your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org between 9:00 and 17:00 during the aforementioned application period. Please note that it may take a while to respond to your query. Queries raised outside the application period will not be dealt with.
On group presentations and symposium presentations:
- The coordinator of a group presentation should send a list of presenters and their topics in the order of presentation by e-mail to the secretariat (email@example.com) by Tuesday January 16th.
- Those presenting at the symposium are asked to apply on Confit as in the case of General Presentation. The symposium organizer is asked to send a program containing the names of presenters and their topics, and the timing by e-mail to the secretariat (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Tuesday January 16th. If there is any presentation without an abstract published in the proceedings, please indicate it with the program.
Please ensure that you have the following before applying:
- Bibliographical details such as the title, abstract in Japanese and English, keywords
- Presenter information, including the names and affiliations of all presenters
- An electronic file containing the abstract (PDF format < 5MB, Figures < 300KB)
Steps in application
Please follow the following three steps to apply.
(1) Register with Confit
- After registration, a reference number will be e-mailed to you. Please keep it safe. For details, please follow instructions on the registration screen on Confit.
- Registration opens at noon, Thursday January 4th, 2018 and closes at noon, Tuesday January 16th, 2018.
- Anything registered before 12:00 noon on January 4th 2018 will be deleted when the application opens. Please do not access Confit until the first day of registration (at noon on January 4th).
Click here to register with Confit
【Important】When registration is confirmed, the “Your presentation has been registered” will be sent to you by e-mail. Please ensure you that are registered.
(2) Produce an abstract
- In producing an abstract, please refer to the “Style manual for proceedings of the Academic Meeting.” The abstract should be contained by one page. Anything exceeding the one-page limit will be discarded.
- An abstract sent to the secretariat as an attachment to an e-mail will not be accepted. Any abstract that does not follow the “Style manual for proceedings of the general meeting” will not be accepted. Abstracts cannot be substituted after the application closes, so please make sure that you are sending the right abstract before sending it.
Style manual for proceedings of the Academic Meeting
(3) Sending the abstract through Confit
- From the registration screen of Confit, please select “upload” and send the PDF file of the abstract (the file size should not exceed 5MB).
- Please make sure that the PDF file is not password protected. If an abstract is produced by MacOS, please ensure the file extension (.pdf) is included.